Escape Reef and the surrounding reefs have provided consistently fantastic fishing for us over the past 10 years. The diversity of species has always been amazing, and the GT fishing and general lurecasting is always excellent, as is the light jigging and soft plastic fishing on the reefs.
Previously, we had only occasionally fished this area on our way to other northern areas, until our Skipper, Andy, commented that “every time we fish this area the guests love it and we catch heaps, so why not do some shorter trips here with quick and easy access for guests – because the fishing rocks!”.
Escape Reef trips offer a diverse range of species and some high quality fishing for some of the most iconic bluewater reef species on the Great Barrier Reef.
It’s a sportfishing paradise, with spectacular year-round action. This reef system has an appeal that keeps anglers coming back year after year, and with the fishing getting better every year why wouldn’t they!
- Great lurecasting and popper fishing for GTs, coral trout, yellowfin and a variety of reef species.
- Awesome shallow water reef flats casting for a huge variety of species
- Micro jigging and soft plastic fishing the reef edges and deeper reefs – awesome fun!
- Troll the reef edges for big spanish mackerel, yellowfin tuna and wahoo
Escape Reef is one of the locations visited as part of our Lagoon Explorer trip schedule in February/March and July/August each year.
Getting to Escape Reef
- Our Lagoon Explorer trips depart from either Cooktown, Lizard Island or Port Douglas in Far North Queensland. Once you’ve picked your trip dates we can give you more details about transfers between Cairns and your trip departure location.
If you’d like to instantly receive the latest dates and prices for all our trips, click here.
If you’d like more information about the breathtaking fishing experiences we offer, get our info pack!