How often have you landed more than 50 GTs in one day? Although Jewell Reef is mainly about variety, it also happens to have some of the best GT fishing in the world. It’s not at all unusual at Jewell Reef during September-November to find mobile bommies of GTs out from the reef edge and have days releasing over 50 GTs. The rest of the year provides spectacular fishing on the reef flats as well as trolling and jigging for mackerel, yellowfin and the occasional big dogtooth tuna.
And if you think that is good, there’s also light tackle action in the shallows, mackerel trolling or deep jigging. Truly spectacular fishing in a simply incredible location.
- One of our “World’s Best” GT fishing locations with 50+ GTs landed in a day on a single boat on more than 5 occasions
- Excellent lurecasting the shallow reef flats for a huge variety of reef species
- Light and heavy jigging for coral trout, emperors, jobfish and many more
- Troll the reef edges for spanish mackerel, wahoo and yellowfin tuna, with the occasional big dogtooth!
Jewell Reef has amongst the best variety of species and fishing styles of any location we visit. There’s sensational GT fishing, jigging, flyfishing and general sportfishing. Almost every Coral Sea pelagic and reef species is available. You can expect big GTs up to 50kg and popper fishing and spanish mackerel around 25kg are common as well. Deep jigging the outer edge of the northern barrier reef produces great chances for reef fish and dogtooth tuna.
We visit Jewell Reef on our Lagoon Explorer trips in February, March, July and August.
Getting to Jewell Reef
- Departs from and returns to Cooktown.
- Transfer fees include return flights between Cooktown and Cairns, plus transfers from the Cooktown Airport to the Cooktown Wharf.
If you’d like to instantly receive the latest dates and prices for all our trips, click here.
If you’d like more information about the breathtaking fishing experiences we offer, get our info pack!