The Northern Pandora Reefs are a treasure trove of opportunities hidden in a maze of reefs on the Far Northern Great Barrier Reef
- Only 2 trips per year access this incredible remote area
- Spectacular GT fishing, big dogtooth tuna and wrasse
- Cast the shallow reef flats with light or heavy spin gear for a great variety of species
- Troll the reef edges for big spanish mackerel, yellowfin, wahoo and marlin
- Narrow channels funnel strong currents and create large upwellings
- Light and heavy jigging for coral trout, wrasse, emperor and a variety of other species
- Pandora Reefs are visited on 2 Ultimate Adventure trips annually
This area is visited for only 2 trips per year. It is extremely remote and difficult to access and as such is only visited on 2 of our Ultimate Adventure trips each year – once as we travel from Lockhart River to Horn Island in September, and again as we return south from Horn Island to Lockhart River at the end of November.
Start the day with an early morning troll in one of the reef passages, where massive dogtooth and yellowfin tuna, wahoo and sailfish are all very likely, then spend the morning on the shallow reef flats catching huge numbers of coral trout, red bass, emperors and all sorts of other reef species.
Follow that up with an afternoon GT session to get your arms stretched, or just take a leisurely stroll on the inside of the reef for some of the big Spanish mackerel that live in this area. If you want to catch lots of GTs, mixed with amazing reef flats action, pelagics on the outside of the reef and some light tackle trolling or jigging, then you really need to find a way to visit Pandora Reef.
The reef channels and coral structures in this area are as good as anywhere on the Great Barrier Reef, and the limited visits each year keep the fishing at a level so good it is hard to believe.
This is an amazing area to visit in Spring when the reef comes alive for the annual coral spawning event. We visit this area in September and early December.
Getting to Northern Pandora Reefs
We visit the Northern Pandora Reefs on two Ultimate Adventures per year; our Bligh Reef, Five Reefs and Northern Pandora Reefs Ultimate Adventures.
If you’d like to instantly receive the latest dates and prices for all our trips, click here.
If you’d like more information about the breathtaking fishing experiences we offer, get our info pack!